May 30 is Loomis Day--an actual holiday commemorating the 1872 patent awarded to Mahlon Loomis, a dentist from Washington D.C. who was the first to successfully construct a wireless telegraph. He also deserves credit for:
1. First to use a complete antenna and ground system
2. First experimental transmission of wireless telegraph signals.
3. The first use of kites to carry an antenna aloft.
4. The first use of balloons to raise an antenna wire.
5. First vertical antenna (steel rod mounted on top of a wood tower).
6. Formulation of the idea of ‘waves’ traveling out from his antenna.
7. The first Patent for wireless telegraphy.