Sunday, March 22, 2009

What Makes Me Happy

I have a few blogs that I read regularly. Some are artistic, some inspirational, and a few are just meandering mixes like mine. The other day one of those blogs posted a question: What makes you happy?

Hmmm. What makes me happy? Lots of things make me feel good about life. Lots of things make me smile. Happiness, though, is deeper than a momentary emotion. Happiness is really a state of being.

Music makes me happy. When I sing, especially with a group of committed musicians, I feel like a small part of something magnificent. I love to hear good music. It makes me happy that my children love musci as well. I am happy when I hear them sing and play their instruments (trumpet, piano, percussion.) The best is when I hear them sing together. Bach said, "The aim and final end of music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." That's a pretty solid foundation for a life of happiness.

Learning makes me happy. I am so grateful that God has given me a thirst for knowledge and understanding of His Word and His world. Everything I learn makes me wonder all the more of God's amazing power...and that with all the glory of Creation, He chose me to be His child.

My family makes me happy. How blessed I am to have a husband who loves me without reservation and daughters who are strong and independent young women. The most joyful moments I know are the ones when my younger daughters, who are sisters AND best friends, laugh together. All of my girls have a deep and rich and infectious laugh, and when their peals of laughter ring through the house, I cannot help but know that I am a happy woman.

No comments: