Monday, September 17, 2012

Teaching the Hard Things

C.S. Lewis=Mind Blown. This is not news to most people; it's not even news to me. Quite possibly the greatest apologist of the 20th century, and certainly one of the greatest minds, Lewis writes about the hard things of life unapologetically and with insight so deep that I fear I may drown in it. It is important to think on these things, particularly in our current highly secularized culture. It is critical to know what one believes and, more importantly, why. So, I will continue to challenge myself with the hard things--and to hold myself accountable to perseverance, I will commit to teaching the ideas to high school students.

When I suggested the class, I knew it would challenge my ability to think, understand, and teach, but I knew that God could (and would) use it somehow. Even if the only person who learns something is me, the time and mental energy spent is well worth the effort. However, even after just a few weeks, I see that students are taking it in and struggling through the material, not because they must, but because they WANT to learn it. I love that. And that motivates me to push myself that much harder.

No comments: