Tuesday, August 11, 2015

No one can dictate my story but me.


     I love this quote by Ann Lamott.  This summer has been one of story upon story. The beginning of the summer was rough; I was dealing with the edge of depression (it still happens now and then), was betrayed and discarded by someone I thought was a friend, and felt at loose ends in a number of ways. My summer was saved by a connected learning MOOC (massive open online course) designed for educators. It included a number of challenges that allowed me to grow both artistically and professionally. I also made some new contacts who may become friends. I also found healing at my annual trip to Gulf Shores with true, longtime friends who know me well and assured me of my worth.
     I also had fun working on a chapter in a book with colleagues, finding a place in becoming with other professional acquaintances, and preparing new material with yet another educator for a couple of big education conventions. These professional collaborations got me thinking about the importance of language and story in both teaching and in life. These ideas are evolving, but may be a new direction for my doctoral research. Social media will still be a part of the process, but likely as a part of how language affects story. A Twitter post of 140 characters requires a different language than an essay, a photo, or a multi-modal composition. How do people determine which medium to use when telling their stories?
     Tomorrow begins a new chapter in my own story. Orientation at Georgia State kicks off a new philosophical course of study, and a new teaching position will keep me grounded in reality. I expect to be gleefully busy doing things I love to do: educating, researching, learning, and creating. And I will be telling the story I own.

created with my phone photos from this summer, an Anne Lamott quote from Pinterest, and Pixlr

No comments: