Friday, October 09, 2009

Time to read

My "to-do" list keeps growing. As soon as I check off one item, two appear to replace it. This week is my "fall break," which means I have no classes to teach. Theoretically, it's a time to refresh the mind before beginning the next school session. Practically, it's a time to catch up with those items long neglected and get ahead for the next few weeks of school. So, clean and organize the workshop, catch up on the digi-art projects, upload school pictures, work on Stamper's Quest projects, write lesson plans, answer questions on E-notes, clean house...and on and on. For the first part of the week, practicality trumped theory.

God knows that I need to rest my frenetic brain. Usually He allows me to get sick, but this time, He let my car break down. Twice. Last Friday it went in for new brakes. Today it went back because the gas pedal "disengaged." (I don't really know exactly what happened, but I do know that I was driving home with Caty Mae yesterday when suddenly pushing the gas pedal did nothing. I coasted into a parking lot and called the service people.) The tow truck would take up to 90 minutes to arrive-and it was already past 8 pm.) Caty Mae and I were able to get a ride home with a friend, and I called AAA this morning.

That's when God said, "Chill." While I waited for the tow truck, I read a book. Just a pleasure book. Nothing philosophical. Nothing profound. Nothing having to do with school or photography or publishing or art. Just a "dessert" book. For 45 minutes. And I am refreshed.

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments: